Oily skin is a boon & a bane! Especially in summer the line between “glowy” and a “greasy bowl of fries” is very thin.
Oily skin is caused by the overproduction of sebum by sebaceous glands, which is influenced by genetics—if you have larger sebaceous glands they produce more oil—hormonal changes, stress and diet. In the summer, your skin tends get more oily due to heat and humidity and this leads in increase of oil production from sebaceous glands.
But worry not, here are a few ways you can control the grease on your face this summer and stay shine free:
- DO NOT over cleanse: Its very tempting to keep washing your face with harsh soaps to get rid of the oil. But over cleansing dries out your skin causing irritation and excess oil production. Cleanse twice a day with gentle water based or gel cleansers to maintain a natural moisture balance and a healthy skin barrier.
- Salicylic acid: Look for products that contain salicylic acid as one of their ingredients. It helps exfoliate the oil producing glands, which in turn control oil production, blackheads, whiteheads and also pimples. A body wash with Salicylic Acid and Triclosan will help ensure that your body breakouts disappear!
- SPF: As much as possible try and avoid contact with direct sunlight. The sun is strongest between 10AM to 3PM; try stay indoors during these times. If its impossible use sunglasses, hat or a scarf to cover yourself up. Irrespective of all this always stay protected using a minimum of 30 SPF with a UV A/B protection. The key words you want to look for are, ‘oil-free’ and ‘non-comedogenic’, this makes sure that the product will not cause more shine or breakouts.
- Exfoliate: This is a must for oily skinned people to clean out clogged pores, excess sebum & bacteria. However do not over exfoliate, do it twice a week and preferably during your night time skin routine so you don’t expose freshly revealed skin to dust and sun immediately.
- Moisturise: There is a great misconception that certain skin care ingredients in moisturizers will cause acne and promote oil-production. Over drying by not moisturising your skin will cause the skin to over compensate by producing more sebum. Use oil-free or gel based moisturisers which have a higher water content which will hydrate your skin but also leaving your skin feeling light.
- Cut back the Makeup: Foundations will only get runny in the summer with an already oily skin, clogginng your pores and causing breakouts. Opt for tinted moisturisers or BB creams if you must have make up. Use more powder based foundations or go completely sans makeup, this might seem extreme but your skin will thank you later.
- Water, Water & Water: This sounds so over done, but that’s only because its that important. Its easy to get dehydrated during summer months leaving your skin less hydrated which in turn causes more sebum production to compensate. Drink 8 glasses or more of water. Spice it up by flavouring your water with fresh fruits or spices to make it less boring.
Keep these in mind and enjoy a shine free summer!