We are sharing our favourite recipe for Stuffed Bell Peppers with an Indian twist. You can make this easily with leftover rice. You can also add your favourite meat if desired. Its healthy and tastes delicious at the same time.
Yields: 3 Stuffed Peppers
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour
- 3 Bell peppers (colour of your choice)
- 3/4 cup crumbled Pepper Jack cheese (can be substituted with Mozzarella or Montery Jack)
- Cooked rice 1.5 cups (we used brown rice)
- 1 Large onion thinly sliced
- Cut mushrooms 1/2 cup of
- Chopped bell peppers 1/2 cup of
- Assorted beans 1/2 can (you can also soak dry beans and cook them)
- 2 tbsp chopped Basil leaves
- 1.5 cups of tomato paste (freshly ground tomatoes)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Chilli powder (or according to taste)
- 1/3 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil (any vegetable oil)
For the Filling: In a pan heat the oil and add the cumin seeds till its splutters. Add the sliced onions and cook till lightly caramelised and it turns golden brown. Then add the mushrooms and bell peppers and sauté for a minute. Pour in all of the tomato paste and add the beans and cook for a few seconds. Add the chilli powder, pepper powder, salt, sugar and mix.
Cook till the raw spice smell is gone. Lastly add the cooked rice and basil. Mix well and turn off the heat.
Preheat your oven to 180 degree C.
Prepare the peppers by slicing off the top and removing the seeds. Fill in the peppers with the filling until almost full.
Place them on your baking sheet and bake for 20 mins. Take it out, top off each of the three peppers with 1/4 cup of the cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Serve hot and dig right in!